THE JAZZ COURSE IN NEW ORLEANS (EDUX 9334)
The Orff Approach to Teaching Jazz to All Ages
With Doug Goodkin & Guest Teachers
June 20-July 1, 2022 at the University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA
The Jazz Course, now in its 34 th year, is once again going to the place where jazz was born—New Orleans! Our 2019 course there with 50 music teachers was an extraordinary experience for all and we’re confident it will be yet again for those lucky enough to attend. In addition to the usual offering of the essential principles of using Orff Schulwerk to make jazz accessible for kids of all ages—the theory and practice of games, speech, beginning jazz for Orff ensemble, blues, jazz standards, jazz compositions—this course will deepen the experience in the following ways:
- Field trips to historic sites, evening visits to jazz clubs, presentations by local and
nationally known New Orleans musicians.
- 10 days of study instead of the usual 5.
- Assistance and demonstrations from band members of Doug Goodkin & the
- Daily classes on the history of jazz.
- A visit to the Whitney Plantation, where African-American tour guides tell the real story
that every teacher needs to know and pass on to the kids.
- Now’s the Time: Teaching Jazz to All Ages- Doug Goodkin (Pentatonic Press)
- All Blues: Jazz for the Orff Ensemble- Doug Goodkin (Pentatonic Press)Suggested Materials:
- Step It Down: Bessie Jones & Bess Lomax Hawes
- Boom Chick a Boom (CD): Doug Goodkin & the Pentatonics
- Jazz, Joy & Justice: The Stories Every American Should Know- Doug Goodkin
Cost : $1,220.00 (no credit) $1,440.00 (4 Continuing Education Credits)
To Register for the course, please click HERE.
(There are a limited number of scholarships available for the SFIOC 2022 courses. To fill out an application, please click HERE. )
Housing options include dorms at the University of New Orleans (more information when accepted)
For further info, contact Goodkindg@aol.com