THE JAZZ COURSE IN NEW ORLEANS: The Orff Approach to Teaching Jazz to All Ages (EDUX 9343)
With Doug Goodkin and guest teachers
July 10-19, 2019 at University of New Orleans
America’s only course combining the dynamic repertoire of jazz with the dynamic pedagogy of Orff Schulwerk has moved to a new level! Instead of holding it in San Francisco this year, we will be in the place where jazz was born and feature three exciting new changes:
- Studying this music and this way of teaching this music in the place where it began and still is vibrant. We will take field trips to historic sites, go out evenings to clubs and invite guest local artists representing the many faces of jazz in present-day New Orleans culture, from brass bands to modern jazz.
- Expanding to 10 days instead of the usual 5-day course, giving time to absorb, practice and be more fully immersed in styles ranging from roots music, blues, jazz standards, big band swing, Latin jazz, bossa nova and more adapted to the Orff instrumentarium.
- Expanded faculty including the Pentatonics Jazz band (Joshi Marshall, Marty Wehner, Sam Heminger, Micah McClain) to assist and work with horn players, bassists, and drummers, Prosper Gbolonyo (tentative) from Ghana to work with the African roots of jazz, Tom Pierre to work with African-American roots music and Gospel, and select New Orleans musicians (to be announced).
The Jazz Course, now in its 30th year, has long been an effective way to bring jazz to young children via the Orff Approach. This course works best for jazz players new to Orff and Orff teachers new to jazz, but all those eager to learn are welcome. Those have taken the course previously are welcome to return and enjoy the new material. These added features make it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Don’t miss it!
- Now’s the Time: Teaching Jazz to All Ages: Doug Goodkin (Pentatonic Press)
- All Blues: Jazz for the Orff Ensemble: Doug Goodkin (Pentatonic Press)
- Step It Down: Bessie Jones & Bess Lomax Hawes
- Boom Chick a Boom (CD): Doug Goodkin & the Pentatonics
- This year’s Jazz Course will be held at The University of New Orleans in New Orleans, LA.
(UPDATE 3/24/19 – the 10 double rooms listed below are full but we have sourced other on-campus housing through the University of New Orleans, an email will be sent to all participants shortly with how to arrange this new housing option.)
- Students must arrange their own housing and meals.
- 10 double rooms are available on campus. Eight of the rooms are $55/night and 2 rooms are $65/night. All rooms have two twin beds, a private bathroom, sheets and towels, free guest Wi-Fi and TV.
- To reserve, contact: Susan Calamari at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For other accommodations, participants must make their own arrangements through Air B & B, hotels, etc.
Orff Schulwerk : The Jazz Course (EDUX 9343)
Instructor : Doug Goodkin and guest artists
Dates : July 10-19, 2019
Times : 9:00 – 4:00
Cost : $1150 (no credit) $1370 (credit)
For further info, contact Goodkindg@aol.com