MUSIC FROM FIVE CONTINENTS: World Music in the Orff Classroom (EDUX 9344)
Sofía López-Ibor, James Harding, Doug Goodkin
July 22-26, 2019:
This new course gathers over 20 years of work collecting material from diverse cultures that is playable, singable and danceable by children of all ages. Drawing from our 6th grade World Music curriculum at The San Francisco School, this course features:
- Games, songs, dances and body percussion practices from every continent.
- Pieces arranged for the Orff Ensemble and recorder.
- A development sequence following Orff and Keetman’s idea of moving from the pentatonic to the modal to the harmonic.
- Intriguing ways to isolate the key elements of each piece and teach it in a way that wholly engages the students.
- Imaginative ways to extend the material with an integrated arts approach.
- Introduction to authentic instruments from diverse cultures that can be integrated with the Orff ensemble.
- Cultural background and context.
- Select guest artists.
This course is designed for music teachers working with kids between preschool and high school, with special attention to those working in the Orff approach. The ideal participant will have completed all three Orff Levels, but those with a particular interest in the topic or background in World Music are welcome.
Music from Five Continents: World Music in the Orff Classroom by Doug Goodkin, James Harding, Sofia López-Ibor. (Pentatonic Press 2019)
Location : The San Francisco School, 300 Gaven St, SF, CA 94134. (www.sfschool.org) Students must arrange their own housing and meals. Please do not contact the SF School for information, but direct all questions to email@example.com
Orff Schulwerk : Music from Five Continents: World Music in the Orff Classroom (EDUX 9344)
Instructor : Sofía López-Ibor, James Harding, Doug Goodkin (see Level training Faculty for bios)
Dates : July 22-26, 2019
Times : 9:00 – 4:00
Cost : $625 (no credit); $735 (credit)
Location : The San Francisco School, 300 Gaven St.,San Francisco, CA 94134